Catalog images are a great benefit to both buyers and sellers. Supplying images to the catalog gives you an opportunity to help the BrickLink community. If you would like to supply a catalog image, please follow these guidelines.
Concurrent item and image submissions
Having problems formatting your image?
The BrickLink system does not convert file types for you nor does it provide a means to edit images. If you would like to upload an image but are having difficulty resizing it, there are free downloads available on other sites such as Irfanview.com which are excellent tools for resizing and file conversion.
- Item and image submissions are accomplished separately on different pages. You do not need to wait for a submitted item to be approved and in the catalog before you submit images for it. You do not need to be the item's submitter. The item must simply have been submitted before any image upload is possible. We encourage image submission to follow as soon as possible after item submission because an image can help catalog administrators evaluate the item submission. For more information on item submission, see Adding Items.
Changing color assignment of current images
- If it has come to your attention that an image in the catalog is assigned to the wrong color, do not simply submit an image under the correct color. Instead, alert the Catalog Administrators to reassign the current image's color by posting to the Catalog Requests Discussion Forum topic. If you feel you can supply a superior image you may submit it after the current image has been reassigned.
Decorated items versus undecorated items
- For items that are undecorated, that is, without a pattern applied, please do not submit an image showing a decorated version. Catalog entries for undecorated items will not describe them as such but if other entries exist specifically for decorated versions then their nature should be apparent.
Set images versus Original Box and Instructions images
- The three Item Types of Set, Original Box, and Instructions are related in BrickLink's Catalog design but each entry of each Item Type can have its own small and large image. If you feel an existing Set image is somehow lacking, do not submit an image of the Original Box or Instructions to replace it. Much information of historical importance may be embodied in an old image of an old Set and the more, different, images we have, the better.
- Image of Original Box should be an image of just the box without the contents.
Source / Crediting
- For Parts and Gear Item Types, the Small image displayed by default on the Catalog Detail Page may not be the image for which credit is given on that page. This can happen if an image is selected for display from among those available for different colors and was not the first image for the item.
- If the image is an original scan/photo, you can receive credit. If the image is later identified as originating or deriving from somewhere or someone else's image, any credit given to you may be replaced.
- Images from LEGO S@H are okay and can be credited to you.
- Generally, you will lose credit if your image is replaced by one from another member.
- Minimum dimension of item image is 240 x 320 for mini figures and 320 x 240 for all other item types.
- Item images may be any size up to the maximum dimensions of 800 x 600 (or 600 x 800).
- Images must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format.
- Under some circumstances additional images may be uploaded by the Catalog Admins to show extra detail not viewable in a single image.
- Additional images should adhere to the same guidelines used for regular images.
- Image should have a transparent or white background.
- Image should be clear and sharp - please rescan if yours is blurry.
- Photographs or scans are preferred to instruction clippings.
- If you resize an image, please maintain the aspect ratio. Aspect ratio is the ratio of width to height. If you don't resize properly, your image will be stretched or compressed. That can destroy image detail and mislead people about item dimensions.
- This applies also to CAD rendered images, such as from LDraw.
- If you think your image is significantly better than an existing one, please upload.
Extra Space in Picture
- Please remove excessive extra space around the item in a picture. On the otherhand, avoid cutting so close that a background which may provide a sense of scale is lost. This applies to both Small and Large images.
- Crop the image - and if resizing, use image constraints to prevent the image having a "squished" or "stretched" look.
- Placing a smaller picture within a larger one is sometimes a good idea, with both Small and Large images, to help identify an item. For example, this can be found in images of Minifigs, showing the head part that is otherwise obscured by the headgear. Please do not allow inset images to block major or informative portions of the main image.
Upload images using our Add Image pages. Note that this link defaults to the page used for Small images. Select for uploading Large images by using the link at that page's upper right.
|I made a submission but now...|
- It's gone and I know I used the right item number, so why was it deleted?
Could be you didn't really use the right item number and all the admins see is an image of an item that doesn't match the item description.
- No, really, I used the right item number, but it's still gone.
Did you submit a set build image to replace an original image from the LEGO company? For some of the older sets we try to preserve the original image because once we replace an original LEGO company image with that of a built set we can no longer be certain of the accuracy of the set.